Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Redefining “Ministry” and “Mission” takes more than a Sermon Series

            Every Christian is called by God to advance the Kingdom of God as we support human flourishing. Our support of individual and community flourishing may take “spiritual” forms such as preaching, prayer, mercy ministry, etc. but it may also take “secular” forms such as nursing, home repair, gardening, feeding your family, etc. In the work of bringing order to our sphere of influence in this world, there is no sacred – secular dichotomy as we labor “as unto the Lord”. (Col 3:23)
I’ve been tackling these themes over the last 3 months in my ministry. But a conversation last week convinced me that this sacred-secular dichotomy is deeply ingrained and will not be uprooted in a sermon series or even in a season. I was visiting with long-standing members of our congregation, folks who grew up in the Church and have been following Jesus personally for decades. They are gifted, articulate, balanced, conscientious servant-hearted and intelligent. So I was taken aback when one person mentioned that increased hours for a large employer in Madison was causing them to step back from.
“I am so busy right now at work that I don’t have the time to do ministry.”
“Why? What has led to the increase work load for you? A promotion with more responsibility?,” I probed.
“No. My coworkers have so many needs. Now that my kids are married I have more flexibility and time than I had previously. I often volunteer to cover for coworkers who need time for themselves and with their families.”
From this point I explained to my dear friend that this was ministry! In serving their coworkers in this tangible and practical way they were serving Christ and advancing the Kingdom of God. They were not stepping back from ministry, they were stepping into greater ministry and opportunity – albeit not within the four walls of our local church.
This conversation has convinced me that linking my parishioner’s current labors in the “secular” workforce to the purposes of God will take diligence. But the effort to persuade every lay person that they are a missionary is worthwhile. I think that when this dear saint saw that their current sacrifices and energies beyond the organization of our church were labors unto the Lord it unloaded a truckload of self-imposed guilt and gave new purpose and meaning to their efforts.
In her book Kingdom Callings Amy Sherman quotes a relevant statement from G. K. Chesterton: “You say grace before meals. All right. But I say grace before the concert and the opera, and grace before the play and pantomime, and grace before I open a book, and grace before sketching, painting, swimming, fencing, boxing, walking, playing, dancing and grace before I dip the pen in the ink.”

May we understand that every Christian is a missionary right now where we are planted and may we say grace as those who are dependent on it for the discharge of our duties – to the glory of Christ Jesus our Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment