Tuesday, August 20, 2013

When it comes to Work & Leisure, Integrity Trumps Efficiency



There has never been a generation on the earth that has been so preoccupied with efficiency and “time-saving” devices. Most of the new products we buy promise to make current tasks faster and more efficient. Yet despite decades of innovation and the invention of many “time-saving” devices we’ve rarely felt so time starved! I read recently of a study that indicated that Americans talk about rest & sleep in similar ways that a hungry person talks about food.
            Writing in the mid 90’s when pagers were in their heyday and before the advent of smart-phones, Leland Ryken said, “time-saving devices have consumed our time instead of freeing it up.” Now I am personally a fan of smart phones. My phone has increased my efficiency and effectiveness – both for work & home. But I would not say that my phone is a “time-saving” device in the pure sense that it has freed up some time for me. Instead, I find myself doing more. And to the bane of my one-track mind, I am “multi-tasking” more than ever.
            In our day work and leisure have blended. The advantage of a device like a smart-phone or laptop is that you can work anytime and anywhere. Of course, being able to work anytime and anywhere also means we can work all the time from everywhere! The lines between work & play are becoming blurred. While at work we can engage in leisure activities like checking the news, Face book, or playing a game. While playing, we can check our work emails, be reflecting on a problem at work, or in other ways get things checked off our “to-do” list. The trouble is that leisure and work have blended. And thus we neither work nor rest well.
            Recently in my personal time with the Lord I’ve been reading Ecclesiastes. The third chapter begins:
ESV Ecclesiastes 3:1 For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven: 2 a time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted; ….
Could we add: “a time to work and a time to rest”? Perhaps it is time to acknowledge that some things should not be multitasked. From my experience, rest is ruined when I start multi-tasking. And my work efficiency and effectiveness drop when I add elements of leisure into my work. Perhaps I would actually feel less frantic if I did not check my work email during times of rest and did not check my face book (or other leisure activity) during work? I’m not trying to create a new rule or regulation for my life – rather I’m attempting a mindset or attitude change: When at work – work! When at rest – rest! Integrity should trump efficiency.
            LeLand Ryken in his book Redeeming the Time wrote, “Today the confusion has deepened: we worship our work, work at our play, and play at our worship.” Christ is our Lord. He is the Lord of our work, our play & our worship. So let us live lives of integrity. Let us give Christ our undivided attention – especially when we gather with the saints for corporate worship. Then having gathered for worship, let us scatter to worship. Giving glory to God in our work by giving our employer our best. And giving glory to God in our play / rest knowing that Jesus Christ is Lord of the Sabbath.

No comments:

Post a Comment